Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The “Shells” I Picked Up in Cap Cod


The “Shells” I Picked Up in Cap Cod
Name: Leilei Gao
Major: Landscape Architecture

All of these days, I am always thinking about the travel to Cap Cod and have tried lots of times to write something down to record this exiting experience. However, all of the attempts are still in vain. Sometimes, memory should be left alone, and then rinsed by the pass of time. Finally, the sand disappeared. Then you could see clearly how the shells you picked up on the beach look like.

The peace and beauty of Cap Cod captured me by the first sight after traveling and sleeping the whole way. Quiet roads and woods separate and connect the houses both well, since they make the neighborhood no barriers but give each one private space. The nature needs of human being when accompany with one another is just like this, as it has been decided from the ancient days. People need own space to make them feel safe and private, at the same time, they want to say “hi” and communicate, and are eager to see how the others’ life goes on.

As it is to my major, landscape architecture, that’s an interesting case. How could I design space in public place? How can I make private but friendly space for each one nature and harmony?

Interestingly, the differences of space and privacy exist not only in the neighborhood but also in the single houses. Even though all of the houses impressed me deeply, I do want to compare two houses of them. One is The Kugel / Gips House, which was built by Charlie Zehnder in 1970 and the other is Jack Hall’s summer cottage.

I have thought about the problem of privacy when visiting the Kugel/ Gips House. Actually, I admire the fresh air and beautiful views surrounding this house. But I feel uneasy when imagining if I should stay in the house for one night or some days longer. The designer did concern about the environment and the landscape, which could be proved well by using the pillar to support this house which can preserve the landscape well if this house would be moved away one day. At the same time, he made few boundaries between the house and the environment as designed some part of the wall all made of glass. This part of design makes people closer with the wild nature. However, is it to near? Even though few people would pass by, but how about the animals? It’s a bit scared to image some wild creature staring at you when you are sleeping or watching TV. What’s more, this house is not economical because it is only a house that could be used for summer vacation. The heating costs too much if someone wants to live in winter because the transparent glass is much easier to let heat the radiate to the environment.

In fact, Jack Hall’s summer cottage didn’t attract me so much for it seems like some big wood containers sitting above the landscape. However, I like it better as I know more about it. It surprised me when I heard that a grandma who was 93 years old could live here alone till last year. What a romantic story it is that a grandma painted here and collected stones on the beach even before she died. The length and quality of life relate a lot with the living condition. Unfortunately, we did not see the walls be lifted up as it should be when in summer. But it’s not hard to imagine. The architect is creative to design the walls and pergolas as a whole which is simple and functional. It makes the resident enjoy the cool wind and shade in summer, as well as the warm sunshine and protection in winter. And it won’t make the house lack of privacy when having the transparent walls in summer because of the large pergolas, which provides a good transition between the interior to the landscape.
It gives me lots of inspiration even though I cannot imply his design point in my future case. I will concerns more about the function and privacy to the human beings.
The trip to Cap Cod taught me a lot and is really helpful to make me concern better in the future study.
All of the thoughts above are the precious shells I picked up in Cap Cod, certainly, including the friendship among us.

No comments: